Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Final Countdown

No, it's not the beginning of a trashy 80s big hair anthem, it's almost time for me to bid adieu (I'm not sure if the spelling is right, but I know Aunt Nella will be correcting that one) to the Sunshine Coast and Australia.

It's not that I haven't enjoyed my time here, but before I came I thoroughly researched the Sunshine Coast to ensure that I packed all provisions needed for such a difficult journey - almost on par with that of the pioneers moving west on the Oregon trail. And, by thorough research, I mean: I scanned the Wikipedia page the night before I was supposed to leave, in between mom nagging at me about how it was the 15th time she told me to start packing and dad telling me what kind of USC t-shirt he wanted, and decided that it was just like Vero Beach, Florida. Boy was I wrong. It got cold, real cold. And, by real cold I mean in the 60s (how am I able to survive such suffering?). Oh, and I only packed shorts, t-shirts and polos, and flip-flops.

I have just under three weeks until I get to enjoy the blistering heat of the swamp we call our nation's capital (Note: Washington, D.C. was a swamp before they built it, I'm definitely not making any type of parody about the current political situation).

I do miss everyone, and am excited about heading home to return to my American way of life and values of freedom, liberty, decadence, waste, and cheap crap made in China.

Oh, and before I head out, I was reminded about a few more Australian words that I left out in my previous post:

Brekky (n. Pronounced: breh-kee) = Breakfast, and no I definitely have yet to pick that one up yet.

Thong = Flip Flop -- In case you were wondering, yes, it is fairly awkward when you have to go to K-Mart and ask a middle aged woman where men's thongs are when one of your pairs breaks.

Heaps = Lots (but can also be interchanged with words like: so, very, totally, etc.) -- everything is heaps... Corky's tamales are heaps delicious. School work is heaps hard. I have heaps of things to do when I get back to the U.S. President Obama seems to be doing heaps about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment