Sunday, June 13, 2010

Australia: My Favorites


With my departure from Australia looming, I have decided to post about my favorite things that I've found in this country so far. I'd like to start out by saying that I've had an incredible time that can't be matched by any experience I've had in my life thus far. I've experienced a lot, travelled four continents and studied in places as close as Knoxville and as far as the Australian Sunshine Coast. This semester while studying abroad I've been able to expand my world view and experience another way of life. Australia really isn't that different from the U.S. Other than the higher prices, bigger government, kangaroos, and accent, we are very similar. I have found that the U.S., UK, Canada, and Australia are fairly similar for countries that span three different continents and have quite different histories, but there are differences that set us apart, whether they are positive or negative is of personal preference. So enough of my philosophical life-changing dribble, let the list begin (in no particular order):

1. The People. I think my favorite aspect of Australia is the people. Australians are fun-loving people who seem to have a strong sense of Australian self-identity. even in the bigger cities, they are laid-back and inviting -- much reminiscent of the American south. They are always up for a party and are open to new friendships and people. I think these values could have a positive effect if espoused by our country. Full of life and yielding cutting wits, you can never get tired of Aussies.

2. Kangaroos. Kangaroos are a nice aspect too. In the US we have squirrels and deer. Here, there are kangaroos, lots of them. I have found it quite nice to see them while sitting on my back patio or on my walk to uni.

3. The Language. Sure, they speak English, but they have a very distinct style and different set of idioms and words. I like how Australian English is quite distinctive from other English-speaking countries and representative of the history Australia cherishes. The longer I've been here, the more I notice how American English, while different, doesn't offer much originality -- rather we are known for being loud and having no accent (or having an accent depending on where you're from). I wish we had a language that was more representative and exclusive to America.

4. Tim Tams. They are a tasty chocolate cookie filled with chocolate cream and dipped in melted chocolate. We really need these!

5. Natural Beauty. Australia has scenery that is unlike anything I've ever seen on Earth. When I went to Uluru seven years ago -- has it really been that long? -- I saw the beauty of the desert. These five months I've been here, I've seen the Great Ocean Road and the beautiful beaches of eastern Australia. The Great Ocean Road is one of the most beautiful lines of scenery I have ever gazed upon. The rock formations that sit in the middle of the ocean are breath-taking and the nature is like none I've ever seen. The beaches of the Sunshine Coast are pristine and have the air of a casual, island lifestyle I dearly love. You could never get tired of what you see here.

6. State Pride. I enjoy seeing people from Queensland who consider themselves Queenslanders, or those from Melbourne who see their distinction in being Victorians. There is a great state pride here, something we lack. You don't see a large segment of the population saying, "I'm a Virginian!" or "I'm a Michigander!" It just doesn't happen anymore, and I think it's quite positive on Australian national pride.

As you can see, other than the tim-tams and kangaroos, I've grown to enjoy the non-tangible aspects of this country. This is not to say I've had some great spiritual awakening and am now relinquishing all of my prized possessions, but I think this experience has been more important than "things". I like the "bigger" things Australia has to offer and will never come close to forgetting or duplicating the experience that I have had.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your praise to Australia and also her people. If you haven't seen enough of Australia during your stay, here is more great scenery collected by a team of Australian photographers.

    http://www.auscenery.com/

    Enjoy Australia.

    Pele Leung
    A Melburnian or Victorian

    ReplyDelete