Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I figured that today I'd teach everyone what I've learned (and retained) of the Australian language thus far. So here's a list of words, and what they really mean, in American!

G'day -- Hello, obviously. But, no one says it here.
Mate -- Friend, used all the time. It also replaces the words: dude, man, sir, and ma'am
Cheers/ Ta -- Thank You
Cheers/ No worries -- You're welcome
Cheers -- This word is actually quite versitile, it can be used to describe a good thing.

ex:

Australian: Hey Niles, I found out that Gin is half off!
Niles: CHEERS MATE!

Goon -- Boxed Wine
Pav -- Pavillion
Rubbish -- Trash
Service Station -- Gas Station
News Agency -- Convenience Store
Trolly -- Grocery Cart

Another phrase used in Australian is saying something is ____ as.

ex:

In American: It's cold as a witch's tit!
In Australian: It's cold as.

Makes no sense I know.

This is all I can remember for now, but there will be updates as I learn more of the lingo.

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Americans actually used to use the term service station before you were born, kiddo. And as my trolley is full of rubbish and goon under the pav near the news agency, I must say ta! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really used to say service stayions? That must have been in the dark ages! Like the time when you and mom went to UT!

    ReplyDelete