Monday, February 15, 2010

We're not in Kansas anymore...

So, today we've been having a torrential down-pour of rain. Thank God. The heat has been blistering. Now, I love the heat, but even the Australians here say they can hardly bear it. It's been around 90+ degrees at 90%+ humidity. And there is no AC anywhere, except for classrooms on campus. This is not the Outback.

On a side note, I have found that the hardest barrier Americans have when studying abroad is conversion. People don't think about how much they use units of measurement. People go, oh its 28 degrees. What the hell? Trying to explain the standard units to people who live with metric and vice versa is difficult. Fortunately I found an application on my cell phone that does conversions.

I've been too busy to take pictures for the past couple days, but it is gorgeous here.

Another thing I've noticed about Australia, is that our American tag line "No rules, just right," is a farce. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, but it's a police state. The government levies high taxes (on everything) and the rules and regulations are endless. Then everyone from Europe says, oh it's so cheap and there is no government. I tell them psh, come to the United States, you would think it was anarchy!

Having fun on the sunshine coast while everyone is snowed in, in DC.

1 comment:

  1. what about the conservative political climate? how would you compare Australian conservatives to american conservatives?

    ReplyDelete